
English
Bengali
Spanish
Syria’s de facto leader declares himself president, abolishes constitution
Syria’s de facto leader, Ahmed al-Sharaa, on Wednesday abolished the country’s constitution and declared himself president during a meeting of armed factions in Damascus.
The former rebel leader will “assume the duties of the Presidency of the Syrian Arab Republic and represent it in international forums,” commander Hassan Abdelghani said, according to the Syrian state news agency SANA.
Abdelghani said Sharaa will be president during a “transitional phase,” without clarifying further.
Syria’s parliament was also dissolved, Abdelghani said, adding that the president will form a temporary legislative council until a new constitution enters into effect. He gave no time frame for that to occur.
Syria’s new president was previously the leader of Hayʼat Tahrir al-Sham, or HTS, a group the U.S. government considers a terrorist organization. Sharaa was formerly known by his nom de guerre, Abu Mohammed al-Jolani.
Abdelghani also said former president Bashar al-Assad’s Baath Party will be dissolved, along with all affiliated institutions and organizations. “Their reformation under any other name is prohibited, and all their assets will revert to the Syrian state,” he said.
Here’s what else to know
In a visit to the West Bank city of Jenin on Wednesday, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said Israel has “declared war on Palestinian terrorism in Judea and Samaria,” referring to the West Bank. “After the operation is completed, the [Israel Defense Forces] will remain in the camp to ensure that terrorism does not return,” he added, referring to the refugee camp in Jenin.
More than 375,000 people have returned to northern Gaza since Monday, according to estimates cited by the U.N. humanitarian agency. Allowing residents to return to the north was a key demand of Hamas during negotiations ahead of the ceasefire agreement.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio is making calls as the Trump administration ramps up its diplomacy efforts in the region. Rubio spoke Tuesday with Qatar’s prime minister and foreign minister, Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, as well as Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty, according to the State Department. Rubio spoke to Jordan’s King Abdullah II on Monday.
Israel has received a list of the hostages set to be released Thursday under its ceasefire with Hamas, the Israeli prime minister’s office said in a statement. The list “aligns” with the arrangement agreed upon in the deal, according to the statement.
2,544 / 5,000
সিরিয়ার কার্যত নেতা নিজেকে রাষ্ট্রপতি ঘোষণা করলেন, সংবিধান বাতিল করলেন
সিরিয়ায় কার্যত নেতা আহমেদ আল-শারা বুধবার দামেস্কে সশস্ত্র দলগুলির এক বৈঠকে দেশের সংবিধান বাতিল করলেন এবং নিজেকে রাষ্ট্রপতি ঘোষণা করলেন।
আন্তর্জাতিক ডেস্ক: সিরিয়ার নতুন রাষ্ট্রপতি পূর্বে হায়াত তাহরির আল-শাম বা এইচটিএসের নেতা ছিলেন, একটি গোষ্ঠী যা মার্কিন সরকার একটি সন্ত্রাসী সংগঠন বলে মনে করে। শারা পূর্বে তার নাম আবু মোহাম্মদ আল-জোলানি নামে পরিচিত ছিল।
আবদেলঘানি আরও বলেন, প্রাক্তন রাষ্ট্রপতি বাশার আল-আসাদের বাথ পার্টি, তার সাথে সংশ্লিষ্ট সকল প্রতিষ্ঠান এবং সংগঠন বিলুপ্ত করা হবে। “অন্য যেকোনো নামে তাদের সংস্কার নিষিদ্ধ, এবং তাদের সমস্ত সম্পদ সিরিয়ার রাষ্ট্রে ফিরে যাবে,” তিনি বলেন।
আরও যা জানা দরকার তা হল
বুধবার পশ্চিম তীরের জেনিন শহর পরিদর্শনে ইসরায়েলি প্রতিরক্ষামন্ত্রী ইসরায়েল কাটজ পশ্চিম তীরের কথা উল্লেখ করে বলেন যে ইসরায়েল “জুডিয়া এবং সামেরিয়ায় ফিলিস্তিনি সন্ত্রাসবাদের বিরুদ্ধে যুদ্ধ ঘোষণা করেছে”। “অভিযান শেষ হওয়ার পর, [ইসরায়েল প্রতিরক্ষা বাহিনী] সন্ত্রাসবাদ যাতে ফিরে না আসে তা নিশ্চিত করার জন্য ক্যাম্পেই থাকবে,” তিনি জেনিনের শরণার্থী শিবিরের কথা উল্লেখ করে যোগ করেন।
জাতিসংঘের মানবিক সংস্থার উদ্ধৃত অনুমান অনুসারে, সোমবার থেকে ৩,৭৫,০০০ এরও বেশি মানুষ উত্তর গাজায় ফিরে এসেছে। যুদ্ধবিরতি চুক্তির আগে আলোচনার সময় বাসিন্দাদের উত্তরে ফিরে যাওয়ার অনুমতি দেওয়া হামাসের একটি গুরুত্বপূর্ণ দাবি ছিল।
ট্রাম্প প্রশাসন এই অঞ্চলে তার কূটনৈতিক প্রচেষ্টা জোরদার করার সাথে সাথে মার্কিন পররাষ্ট্রমন্ত্রী মার্কো রুবিও আহ্বান জানাচ্ছেন। পররাষ্ট্র দপ্তর সূত্রে জানা গেছে, মঙ্গলবার রুবিও কাতারের প্রধানমন্ত্রী ও পররাষ্ট্রমন্ত্রী মোহাম্মদ বিন আব্দুল রহমান আল থানির পাশাপাশি মিশরের পররাষ্ট্রমন্ত্রী বদর আবদেলাত্তির সাথে কথা বলেছেন। সোমবার রুবিও জর্ডানের রাজা দ্বিতীয় আবদুল্লাহর সাথে কথা বলেছেন।
ইসরায়েলের প্রধানমন্ত্রীর কার্যালয় এক বিবৃতিতে জানিয়েছে, হামাসের সাথে যুদ্ধবিরতির আওতায় বৃহস্পতিবার মুক্তিপ্রাপ্ত জিম্মিদের একটি তালিকা পেয়েছে ইসরায়েল। বিবৃতি অনুসারে, তালিকাটি চুক্তিতে সম্মত ব্যবস্থার সাথে “সঙ্গতিপূর্ণ”।